The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines for conducting a safe outrigger canoe race.
Cancellation of the race will occur under the following conditions:
- Adverse Weather Conditions
- Medical/Health Conditions (ie: sewage spill)
- Other reasons as determined by the Committee in conjunction with the U.S. Coast Guard
The Committee is responsible for making the announcement to cancel the race. The Committee will listen to weather reports and consult with the US. Coast Guard, Official Boat Captains, Race Sponsors (if necessary), prior to making a decision to cancel the race.
Cancellation based on adverse weather conditions may include the following:
- Winds in excess of 25 MPH (small craft warning)
- Wave heights of 12′ to 15′
- Current and other tidal changes affecting the race course
The announcement to cancel the race will be done no later then the morning of the race, unless we are sure that the race will be cancelled the night before the race. You will be notified ASAP. The Committee will determine if there will be an alternate course or date and time to make up for the cancelled race or none at all (due to the logistics of a race).