General Safety Guidelines
- All escort boats must do a radio and visual check (VHF 1). Not doing a VISUAL radio check will result in disqualification of the crew and/or a fine of $500.00.
- Complete radio silence is mandatory during radio check and before the start of the race.
Yellow Flags Raised:
- Flags will be anchored to mark the buffer zone, and stationary official boats will form the starting line. NO CANOES ARE TO GO PAST THE OFFICIAL BOATS!
- Canoes are to slowly enter into the buffer zone. It is the responsibility of each crew to be in the buffer zone, ready to move in position for the start of the race
- Any team that jump starts the race will be docked 20 minutes.
- Escort boats must remain outside of the course to the back of the Maggie Joe or to the very back of the official boats. First change will be in 45 minutes. Safety must be considered at all times when escort boats enter the course to locate their canoes.
- NO SPEEDING THRU THE COURSE AT ANYTIME. Failure to follow safety guide will result in disqualification, club fines and/or extensive fines.
Start of Race:
- Yellow flags will be raised at approximately 7:55 a.m. Afterwards, the RED and GREEN flags will then be raised to indicate the start of the race. A horn will also be sounded.
Finish of Race:
ALL ESCORT BOATS PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE NO WAKE ZONE FROM THE DIAMOND BUOY TO THE FINISH – GO SLOW WHEN MAKING LAST CHANGES
- All canoes must go past the front of the Maggie Joe so they can be identified. All escort boats must go behind the Maggie Joe and do a final radio check on channel VHF 1.
- All escort boats are to use the Diamond Head side of the dock to off load/drop off paddlers.