NĀ WĀHINE O KE KAI
“Women of the Sea”
Provide an opportunity for women to challenge their mind, body and spirit through Hawaiian outrigger canoe racing.
Na Wahine O Ke Kai is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation dedicated to perpetuating Hawaiian outrigger canoe paddling and to honor, preserve and perpetuate the combined culture, science, tradition, protocol and innovation of the outrigger canoe.
Our primary purpose is to support and conduct a long-distance canoe race each year for women and promote interclub, interisland and international Hawaiian outrigger canoe racing.
We will engage in, promote, encourage participation in, and provide education and instruction in Hawaiian and Polynesian culture through canoeing and other related activities on a local, national, and international basis.
- Ho`omau: preserve, perpetuate, continue
- `Ike Pono: to know, to feel, to understand
- Kuleana: privilege, responsibility, title, job
- Mālama: caring, nurturing others, to protect
- Kōkua: help, assist, comfort, support