Escort Boat Captains Information Sheet
1. Race Requirements
- All drivers must have a valid DLNR, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, or Captain license
- Your vessel must be able to safely carry your helper(s), all paddlers and coach(s), and if necessary, to have the ability to tow your canoe.
- In addition, you need to have the appropriate life jackets/preservers and all other USCG required equipment and documentation.
- Escort boat captain and all helpers must sign a waiver to be turned in no later then September 19, 2016.
2. Radio / Communications
- VISUAL Check in/check out – when leaving Hale O Lono and arriving at finish line, radio checks MOUNTED (VHF) are mandatory. Failing to check in or out with officials may result in disqualification of crew and/or a fine of $500.00. Functioning GPS is mandatory
- Emergencies/problems – Contact the Maggie Joe (Capt. Mike DeRego) on VHF 72 and provide the following information: 306-2097 (cell)
a. Escort vessel for team #____________.
b. Specify medical or non-medical/equipment problem
c. Location using GPS to diamond head buoy (21° 14’ 84 n, 157° 48’ 94 w) or physical location in relation to official boats.
You may be instructed to change channels and then required to explain the problem and give your location. Location may be given by GPS coordinates or physical placement based on map.
3. Finish Line
Canoes will turn right on orange buoy going between the Maggie Jo and orange turn buoy. Escort vessels GO BEHIND Maggie Joe, check in VHF 1.
4. Docking Procedure
Escort vessels will be allowed to go to the dock to drop-off paddlers. There is a limit in the number of vessels, 2 at a time. Please have bumpers and docking lines ready and available before docking. This procedure will expedite the loading.
ONCE YOU HAVE CHECKED IN, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU KEEP YOUR RADIOS ON SO THAT YOU CAN RECEIVE FINAL CLEARANCE FROM THE MAGGIE JOE. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN DELAYS.
PLEASE INSURE THAT ALL MEDICAL EMERGENCIES ARE REPORTED AT TIME OF OCCURRENCE SO THAT PROMPT MEDICAL ATTENTION MAY BE PROVIDED.